Patagonia Conquers the Mountain of Fashion Pollution

Fashion may not be the first thing you think of when it comes to harmful, environmentally unfriendly products. But the fashion industry is one of the largest polluters on our planet. It’s to blame for 20% of the world’s water waste and uses 70 million barrels of oil each year to produce polyester. Groups and companies around the world, including the UN, are attempting to combat the environmentally detrimental actions of many fashion corporations. Patagonia is one business making big strides for sustainable apparel.

The outdoor clothing company makes their own materials in order to have outstanding products for the planet and their consumers. The company’s R1 fleece pullover is 93% recycled polyester. It’s made with their Polartec® Power Grid™ fabric created from recycled plastic bottles. The other 7% of the pullover is Polygiene®, Patagonia’s odor-control material composed of 100% recycled silver. The R1 is also bluesign® approved, which means it “…offers the highest level of consumer safety by employing methods and materials in its manufacture that conserves resources and minimizes impacts on people and the environment.” Patagonia was the first to commit to the bluesign® system, and now there are over 400 businesses dedicated to the environmentally conscious structure.

To show off the sustainable hoody, Patagonia released a humorous ad titled “Done in R1” featuring Sean Villanueva O’Driscoll and Nico Favresse, a rock climbing musical duo. In the ad, they sing the praises of Patagonia’s R1 pullover to celebrate the article’s 20th anniversary. It shows off the team’s rock climbing prowess while scantily clad in the R1. The ridiculous humor blended with the impressive rock climbing shots make for great marketing—plus the product it’s selling is rock solid.

Patagonia has always been aware of the effects large industries have on the planet. Their mission statement explains: “Our criteria for the best product rests on function, repairability, and, foremost, durability. Among the most direct ways we can limit ecological impacts is with goods that last for generations or can be recycled so the materials in them remain in use. Making the best product matters for saving the planet.” It’s refreshing to see such a big company sticking to its roots, and striving for innovation in order to work towards a greener planet.

The R1’s 20th anniversary ad is hilarious, but fashion pollution is no laughing matter. The fashion industry needs more companies to follow Patagonia’s green business model to expunge the damage it has already caused. You can learn more about fashion industry pollution here.

  • SOURCE: Patagonia Mission Statement
  • BRANDS: Patagonia
  • WHY YOU WILL LOVE IT: Because who doesn’t love a brand that wants to save our home planet? 

AUTHOR: Meghan Mormino
ORIGIN: Speaking Human Contributor

Follow Meghan on Speaking Human  /  Human Content from Meghan